Friday, June 27, 2014

Finally full term!

Tomorrow will mark 37 weeks completed in Ivory's gestational life so far, meaning she will be officially considered full term and ready for harvesting whenever she chooses. That is based on my last menstrual period, though, not on the actual date of conception, which we aren't really sure of but think may have been 8 days earlier than the assumed date, meaning she'd actually be 38 weeks today. That being said, she was measuring a week behind in our last ultrasound, and my doctor measured me at 35 cm at yesterday's appointment as well. He is unconcerned, though, saying as long as the measurement is within 3 cm of her estimated gestational age, all's looking good.

I went to see my doctor yesterday morning for my 37 week blood lab, Group B streptococcus screening, and the usual prenatal checkup. There were two instances in the past when I had to have my cervix checked (once after that horrible catheter incident and once when I went to labor & delivery for fear of preterm labor), and both of those times, it was incredibly painful. When he checked yesterday, though, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't hurt a bit! I guess this is because Ivory has "dropped," neatly descended into my pelvis region. He gave me no exact measurements or numbers but said I was a fingertip dilated (and this guy has really big hands, let me tell you...) and my cervix is soft. I asked him what that meant in terms of when he thinks she'll arrive, and he said that if this were my fourth baby, he'd tell me to have my bag packed and camp outside the hospital, but since I'm a first time mama, she could hang out in that position for up to two more weeks. Two weeks from today is the date we're supposed to be closing on our house, so if she decides to come nowish, I won't complain 😄

I've really slacked off with posting bump photos, but I'll just say this: I truly admire the women who still feel motivated to do their hair (okay, even brush their hair), put on a pretty dress, and head outdoors to pose in the summer heat at 9 months pregnant. I've found that ratty hair and pajama bottoms are my new best friends. I also spent the last week and a half refinishing a coffee table that I found at a thrift store, which I'll post pictures of one of these days, but I'm sure no one wants to see a sweaty, sun burnt pregnant woman covered in sawdust and wood stain, so I'll just keep those images to myself.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you lots as you wait these last few weeks! We'll be at Yellow Springs for the weekend, so hopefully we'll get to meet her if she comes soon enough and you're up to being there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are definitely planning to be there!! It will be great to see you :)

    ReplyDelete