Tuesday, January 14, 2014

4 months of marriage + 3 months of pregnancy


Today marks 4 months since I walked out of Kingwood mansion, fumbled down a couple of flights of steps in a very long gown, and married my best friend. It's also been just over 3 months since our pregnancy began, which is not the way we would have imagined our first year of marriage to go, but honestly, I don't believe that either of us would have it any other way. What I'm learning is that life has a lot of unexpected turns, and when it comes down to it, whether you find out about them while you're on your lunch break in the Kroger restroom or not, you simply have to accept that your own plans aren't ever going to be be the final say in any matter. And if you don't want to find out you're expecting two months into your new marriage, use birth control pills. If you're not taking precautions against conceiving a child, chances are you may just be a little hopeful that you will. I can't say it upsets me that I'll only be 39 when this little one becomes a legal adult. I won't say "moves out," because we just never know what the situation is going to be, but -- perhaps that, too?

Last night, I experienced sleeplessness between the hours of 2:20-5:00. For whatever reason, I started thinking about words that I like, because I read in some book or other that a good way to figure out baby names is to take a word you like, then find names that sound similar. Around 3:30 or so, I woke up Felipe to inform him that the word "diatribe" really appeals to me, and could he please help me find a similar name? He breathed angrily, sort of like a mad bull, then mumbled something about "Guyashribe." Around that point, he flipped around in bed so that his feet were next to my face, which I suppose meant he didn't understand the importance of rhymes at such an early hour. Some time after that, I woke him again to wish him a happy monthsaversary and to remind him that we used to be fun, young people who would do crazy things like go to a diner and eat breakfast in the middle of the night. He growled about how we used to do that at 11pm or midnight, and not when we had work in the morning. (He'll probably tell you he got no sleep himself, but that's not true at all. I only jostled him awake for things of the utmost importance.)

2 comments:

  1. Felipe deserves several medals for his patience and forbearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he definitely does! I was reading a brochure about "support people" during labor, which urged to "remember what she's like when she's not in labor," and both he and my mother lost it in hysterics. :)

      Delete